Wednesday 2 May 2018

INLAID TECHNIQUE

In the crafting world where everything has been done to death it's a real thrill to come across a new technique.  This is what happened when perusing Pinterest, you know the way we do! I found a card which led to a blog which wasn't the right blog but then I found the correct blog by the person who had actually made the card - called Lindsey-Doodlings and there I found the Inlaid Technique.  This one has passed me by.  I'm sometimes phased by fiddling with small bits, especially as the eyes aren't what they used to be, but then hey I did used to run an inchy challenge blog!

So I had a play and I didn't find it quite as fiddly as I thought I would.

I've done my card using the colours asked for by CAS Colours and Sketches




I'm also adding this one into Watercooler Wednesday's Anything Goes challenge 

I used one of the Bold Butterfly framelits from SU and its quite a small little framelit which makes the little pieces even tinier.  In case you don't know what this technique is - its basically taking a framelit with lots of pieces in it, pushing out the inlaid pieces which have been coloured and reinserting them in the correct order in a white version of your framelit.  




As this was a colour challenge I inked up a piece of Whisper White with Soft Sky and Berry Burst.  My Soft Sky ink is very dry and doesn't really give a very true indication of the colour.  I went over the pieces once they were inlaid in the white butterfly with a blender pen inked in the two colours just to give a bit more definition.  The butterfly was then simply layered onto some Stitched Framelits and the sentiment is from Feather Together inked in Sahara Sand.


Thanks for stopping by - let me know if you do a similar technique and I can come and visit.

 

6 comments:

Penny Hanuszak said...

Fiona it must have been really tricky getting the itty bitty pieces of card stock back in those butterfly wings. Bravo you did a great job of it! I really like the CAS look of the card design. I'd forgotten all about this technique, so thanks for inspiring to try something different. Thanks so much for joining us this week at the Wednesday Watercooler and sharing your wonderful card in the WWC168 Feminine Anything Goes Challenge". Awesome!

Cathy P said...

Love the subtle use of the Soft sky and your butterfly's wings, Fiona. What a pretty card. Thanks for playing along with our colour challenge this week on CAS Colours and Sketches. Cathy

Heidi Weaver said...

Beautiful clean and simple card, Fiona! I love that inlaid technique and the difference in the two wings. How clever! Thanks so much for joining our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

Fiona Whitten said...

Love that you persevered with putting all the little pieces back in the right place. Thanks for sharing the technique on this week's CC&S challenge.

karen h said...

Wonderful card! Love the different colors in the wings! Thanks for playing along with us at CC&S!

Lady Joyful said...

Lovely card, Fiona. Inlaying is fun, but can be fiddly too! The butterfly certainly looks interesting with the different coloured wings. Thank you for joining us at the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge - Charlotte/Lady Joyful, DT